When Technology Fails
When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance, Sustainability, and Surviving the Long Emergency ePUB
There’s never been a better time to be prepared.
“This book is an indispensable basic manual for the real-life issues that await us in the decades to come. . . [A] treasure trove of practical wisdom.”―James Howard Kunstler, author of The Geography of Nowhere
Matthew Stein’s comprehensive primer on sustainable living skills―from food and water to shelter and energy to first-aid and crisis-management skills―prepares you to embark on the path toward sustainability.
But unlike any other book, Stein not only shows you how to live green in seemingly stable times, but to live in the face of potential disasters, lasting days or years, coming in the form of social upheaval, economic meltdown, or environmental catastrophe.
When Technology Fails covers the gamut.
Inside, you’ll learn:
- The basics of installing a renewable energy system for your home or business
- How to find and sterilize water in the face of utility failure
- How to keep warm if you’ve been left temporarily homeless
- Practical information for dealing with water-quality issues
- Alternative health and first-aid techniques
Each chapter describes skills for self-reliance in good times and bad.
- A survey of the risks to the status quo
- Supplies and preparation for short- and long-term emergencies
- Emergency measures for survival
- Prepping water, food, shelter, and clothing
- First aid, low-tech medicine, and healing
- Securing energy, heat, and power
- Utensils and storage
- Low-tech chemistry engineering, machines, and materials
Fully revised and expanded, When Technology Fails ends on a positive, proactive note with a chapter on “Making the Shift to Sustainability,” which offers practical suggestions for changing our world on personal, community and global levels.