Storey’s Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
Storey’s Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance PDF, ePUB
“This big, comprehensive book that covers everything from land to animals; from vegetables to country cooking. The book encompasses more than 40 years of writing and includes the expertise of many experienced authors. It’s like having a whole community of seasoned gardeners, farmers and homesetaders living next door to you.”
REDISCOVER THE BASIC SKILLS OF COUNTRY LIFE!
Whether it’s making ice cream or sharpening an ax, cleaning a chimney or growing raspberries, you’ll learn how to do it in this treasury of time-honored country wisdom. Illustrated step-by-step instructions will show you how to milk a cow, tap a maple tree, clean a fish, lead a horse, and build the best chicken coop. You’ll find out how to heat your house with wood or by the sun and how to de-skunk a country dog. You’ll learn the proper way to put in a water system, rewire an old house, stack a cord of wood, and grow fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
Yearning for a more self-reliant life? You’ll find the answers in Storey’s Basic Country Skills.
Readers will find step-by-step, illustrated instructions for every aspect of country living including:
- Finding country land
- Buying, building, and renovating a home
- Developing water sources and systems
- Understanding wiring, plumbing, and heating
- Using alternative heating and energy sources
- Vegetable, flower, and herb gardening
- Traditional cooking skills such as baking bread and making maple syrup
- Preparing and preserving meat, fruits, and vegetables